Thursday, October 8, 2009

Robert's Deer and it's sausage:)

September was a month of trying our hand at new skills, such as the previous post on my Salsa making day. Robert shot a nice whitetail with his muzzle loader this year and decided to make his own sausage. While i was only informed of his sausage idea at the last second, i tried to be as helpful as i could stomach. I would have to say that my least favorite part of the ordeal was the hanging and cutting up of the deer in my garage, i just got the garage to smell half way normal again. It was a lot of work though and all he kept saying was, "I would never want to be a butcher." Along the lines of his comment to me the weekend before with my salsa when he said,"I can't possibly see how all this work could be worth it." Well i felt that same way while watching him cube and make sausage out of a entire deer. I do have to give him credit for not even trying to convince me to let him use my kitchen aid grinder attachment to make the meat into hamburger, he got a cheap grinder off of craigslist, good call honey. We have yet to taste the final product so i will have to update you on that later, whether i will be participating in the taste test is still up for debate. All in all it has been a learning month and we both have new respect for those who make there own salsa and sausage every year, HA!